Here is yet another optional race for Mutant Future developed from some of my previous game tinkering. Tweaked Humans are genetically-modified parahumans, specialized for a specific role or task. They were common before the Fall, and some strains have survived into the mutant future.
‘Tweaks’ are the descendents of genetically modified pre-Fall parahumans who have had their DNA adjusted to grant enhanced capabilities. Tweaks come in several varieties, each specialized for a specific role or task. Tweaked Humans look very similar to normal humans, and generally do not suffer the same prejudices experienced by the more freakish mutant breeds.
There are several different types of Tweaks, each with its own specialization; players must select one particular type for their character.
Game Rule Information:
Hit Dice: 1d6 per point of CON.
Backgrounds: If the optional backgrounds rule is being used, then Tweaks can select the same backgrounds as Near-Humans.
Radiation Susceptibility: Like mutants (and unlike Pure Humans), Tweaks can and do mutate as a result of radiation exposure.
Reaction Adjustments: Tweaks are treated as Pure Humans, unless they suffer a disfiguring physical mutation – in which case they are treated as Mutant Humans instead.
Each tweak also receives the following traits based on their type:
- Aquatic Tweak: Aquatics are engineered for an amphibious lifestyle. They gain a +2 bonus to Strength and Constitution, have a -1 penalty to Dexterity and Charisma. In addition, they can swim at their base speed and possess gills, allowing them to breathe underwater.
- Deadeye Tweak: Deadeyes have enhanced hand-eye coordination and make excellent drivers, pilots, and sharpshooters. They gain a +3 bonus to Dexterity and have a -1 penalty to Strength. In addition, they possess increased vision, allowing them to see things as far as 3 miles away if there is a clear line of sight.
- Egghead Tweak: Eggheads have heightened mental capabilities and make excellent scientists and engineers. Eggheads gain a +3 bonus to Intelligence and have a -1 penalty to Constitution. In addition, they possess the ‘Quick Mind’ mutation.
- Honeytrap Tweak: Honeytraps are engineered to function as companions and courtesans. They gain a +3 bonus to Charisma and have a -1 penalty to Willpower. In addition, they possess the ‘Fragrance Development’ mutation.
- Hunter Tweak: Hunters have heightened senses that enable them to better track down targets. They gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and Willpower, have a -1 penalty to Charisma. In addition, they possess the ‘Night Vision’ mutation.
- Meathead: Meatheads make good soldiers and grunts, and are very popular with slavers, raiders, and other such groups. They gain a +3 bonus to Strength and have a -1 penalty to Intelligence and Willpower. In addition, they possess the ‘Increased Physical Attribute [Strength]’ mutation , along with ‘Pain Insensitivity’.
- Praetorian: Taking their name from an ancient order of Roman bodyguards, praetorians often serve as the protectors of powerful marauders and petty despots. They gain a +3 bonus to Constitution and have a -1 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma. In addition, they possess the ‘Increased Physical Attribute [Constitution]’ mutation.