h1

10 – Eastern Corridor

01-Jul-08

↓ Skip to comments.

BP Map #5

BP Map #5

Responding to the vegepygmie presence to the north, Ibben and Apollo approach down the corridor and use their mental powers in tandem to telepathically communicate with a large moldman (a leader, perhaps) while applying empathic suggestions to keep it calm.

Although it is distrustful at first, you are successful in calming the vegepygmie. From your initial discussions, you determine that it is concerned that your group are hostile ‘outsiders’ or ‘aliens’ from beyond the airlock. As the conversation continues, a wave of rage wash over the creature, as if it is remembering a horrific event…


Vegetable Negotiations

Meanwhile, back in the large chamber, Reesus gives a low whistle and alerts his companions: “There are more of the creatures down the western hallway – just around the bend!” He nervously readies his shortbow and seems ready to fire…

Aka scans the eastern corridor carefully; she sees a leafy topknot and primitive speartip sticking out from around the corner: “We’ve got them down this one too!” At the sight of the leafy topknot sticking out from around the corner, she turns her bow down the eastern corridor.

Rasputin doesn’t like the sound of the scouts report. He whispers to the group: “Keep talking to them. Offer a gift to get them onside if you have to. Don’t initiate any hostilities! If it comes to a fight they have all the advantages. We cannot hold this room against an attack from three directions and even if we break out, they know the layout of this region. They will be able to catch us and surround as they please.”

Rasputin looks at the only other apparent way out, the shaft leading down. Not a good option, but perhaps our only one if negotiations go sour. “Get a rope round the shaft while we can!” he suggests, and Olive quickly secures a rope to the downward shaft then readies his sling once again.

After securing the rope, Olive continues to watch the ‘exchange’ between the flesh and the plant. He says nothing, watching in curiosity.

Gene cautions Reesus and the others in a low voice: “Hold your fire, nobody make any sudden moves. Their spears are no match for our firepower. If anything happens, move to the sides of the corridor entrances, they will have to come to us to use those spears.” He then slowly rests his mace against the wall as his hand hovers near ‘The Decider’, his trusty pistol.

Ibben studies the creature carefully, he has never seen anything of the like before, but far from begin unique there are apparently a whole tribe of them! The telepathic mutant struggles to follow the creature’s strange thought patterns. Heeding Apollo’s advice, he quickly changes the topic.

“We are your friends,” he says, sending the thought mentally. “We bring you gifts.”

Unable to resist the temptation to ‘convert’ an entire tribe of primitives to the Radiant Glow, Ibben intones: “Take us to your leader…”

Although intrigued at the mention of ‘gifts’, the vegepygmie bristles at Ibben’s request to be taken to their leader. Apollo senses rising distrust from the creature…

Tense Moments

Rasputin can tell by the increased tension in Ibben and Apollo that the negotiations are not going well. His eyes glaze over for a moment and he mutters into his beard. Then his eyes come back into focus. “Fire, we need fire.”

He gets a flask of oil out of his pack, and moves across to the eastern passageway, getting hold of a lit torch along the way. He motions to the retainer holding his supplies to do likewise at the western tunnel.

He plans to block the passage with oil and set it alight if hostilities commence, reasoning that these plant creatures are not likely to brave flames to get to us. This way, they will not be able to press attack from three directions at once.

Meanwhile, Ibben tries to regain the vegepygmies’ trust. “We have many things to offer you, is there anything which you need?” Ibben ‘says’. “Is this your territory? May we pass in peace?”

“Pass.” thinks the vegepygmie to Ibben. “Not through.” It indicates the eastern passageways. “Go around.”

“Thank you”, Ibben replies to the odd creature. He decides he had better quit this exchange while he is somewhat ahead. He slowly retreats back, indicating for Apollo to follow.

“He says we may pass unmolested along the eastern passage”, he reports to the others.

The vegepygmie that Ibben was communicating with bellows and thumps his chest, and the creature that Aka-Vasha spotted withdraws back down the eastern passageway.


Eastern Corridor

Rasputin breaths a sigh of relief and stops his preparations for a fight. Going east, at least we can check out the metal creature of the ancients on the way, and we can always return to bring the fight to these vegetable creatures if required.

Rasputin looks back at the lurker we slew and considers its weight. If it is not too heavy it would make for interesting trade goods and potential emergency rations. Rasputin looks at the Goliath, “Andre my friend, do you think you can haul that lurker corpse?”.

Andre eyes the lurker corpse dubiously. It’s about ten feet wide – probably too large for even the goliath to lug around.

“Perhaps we just gift it to these plant creatures. They are going be able to get it anyway when we leave anyway so we might as well try and get something out of it,” mutters Rasputin discontentedly.

(The referee tosses the dice for some reason.)

“They might make use of it, assuming they actually eat.” interjects Apollo. “Keep on your toes, people.” he says. “I don’t fully trust these walking plant-men just yet…”

Gene is wary of the uneasy truce. Yet he employs his mace as a walking stick once more and waits for the party to follow Apollo and Ibben down the corridor. Gene plans to bring up the rear of the group. He doesn’t trust these little green men and he is wary of ambush from behind or through any of the doors in the hallway…

As the group proceeds along the eastern corridor, Yobo takes another sniff and confirms that the veggie men are indeed the source of the strange smell. Satisfied, he continues with the group down the passageway.

While exploring, the party makes sure to note the colour of the slot in the panel beside each doorway (as marked on the map).

Repair Robot

Heading eastwards Slinker stops to examine the defunct robot. He pokes about looking for an inspection hatch or on switch or something. “Come on, wake up little robot, we need you to guide us…”

Given the small tools scattered about it, the robot may have been a maintenance or repair droid. Or, just as likely, the tools belonged to some creature that was trying to repair the battered machine… Either way, it will take more skill than your group possesses to bring the robot back now – it has gone to meet its maker.

Also here is an open doorway leading to an irregularly-shaped room beyond (to the south). Glancing within the chamber, it appears to have once been living quarters or an apartment. The room looks thoroughly looted, now containing jumbled furniture (made of plastic and bits of rags), and smashed lighting panels overhead. Otherwise, the area is bare.

The passageway turns north, and you see a number of doorways – one is open (to the northwest). The corridor here narrows to ten feet wide, and turns east after about fifty feet. You see vegepygmies withdrawing around this far corner, primitive weapons still in hand.

What are your actions?

Advertisements

8 comments

  1. “Let us strip the robot of the tools and anything else of use, make a brief search of the southmost room, then head along the north passage,” suggests Rasputin.

    “This way we will get out of the plant creatures territory and can continue our investigations.”


  2. You retrieve the small hand tools and, using them, pry open the robot’s chest plate to scavenge its remains.

    (The referee tosses some dice.)

    Inside are two gem bearings, which you recover – they are likely to fetch a fair price in Affiliation marketplaces. (The hand tools are given to a retainer – their added bulk would weigh you down.)

    Your brief search of the southern room turns up nothing further of interest. The door shows signs of being forced open, and the room itself seems to have been stripped bare of valuables.


  3. Ibben notes the plant-men carefully. “We are still being watched”, he says, “let us hope these creatures keep their word.”

    Ibben keeps a careful eye on the northern corridor as the South room is being searched. “It is a pity we have not yet discovered a key to these doors. It seems the open rooms have already been looted.”


  4. Knowing full well that the rooms are way to disheveled to yield anything of any real value, Aka-Vasha continues up the corridor, and while sliding against the wall, she takes a peeks around the corner to see whats up ahead.


  5. Gene follows the group cautiously, wary of ambush from the side doors. As he passes each open doors he puzzles over the state of the rooms beyond trying to discern the nature of their missing occupants or clues to their fates.


  6. Olive is happy to assist with the dismantling of the robot. After helping scavenge the unit, the android tips his hat to the robot as he walks away. “Odd comment: Thanks for the stuff, Dad!” He skips away, starting to ‘whistle’ again.

    As the group moves forward, Bobby takes his place in line and silences. He trades his sling in favor of the mace again, confident he can rush ahead and offer apologies to potential attackers.


  7. Yobo keeps his eyes open for possible openings/passages that he may be able to explore that the others can’t and aren’t looking for- rat holes, ventilation ducts, access to a crawl space in the ceiling, etc.


  8. The robot carcasse provides Olive with more parts with which to repair himself, should the need arise.

    Yobo hasn’t seen anything resembling a duct or hole yet. The corridors are constructed of sturdy metal, and ventilation seems to be provided via small slits in the ceiling.



Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: