h1

07 – Howls From the North

22-Jun-08

↓ Skip to comments.

BP Map #2

BP Map #2

Your party is engaged in mortal combat with a flying manta-ray beast. Aka-Vasha, though wounded, is now free of the lurker’s enveloping grasp. Aka-Vasha, Gene, Olive, Rasputin, and Andre surround the creature. The Slinker and Rogaine are a few paces back, and the other party members are scattered around the room.

It’s now the third combat round. The referee rolls initiative for the party (a 3) and for the lurker (also 3!). Adjusting for individual initiative, the PCs will act first (on 4), followed by the lurker and your retainers (on 3). The referee mutters something about morale and tosses more dice.


Round 3

Gene continues bashing the creature with his mace. (Roll is 5 +1 = 6; a miss) The creature is suprisingly nimble and dodges Gene’s swing.

Aka-Vasha staggers to her feet, and both heads spin. Taking a deep breath to settle her gasping, she has another go at the creature with her cutlass. (Roll is 17 +1 = 18; hit for 6 +3 = 9 damage!) The keen steel of Aka-Vasha’s blade bites deep into the creature’s hide!

Turning from his foe for a moment, Olive asks Aka-Vasha: “Query: Are you able to walk? Do you need medical assistance?”

Aka-Vasha shrugs off the android, being to focused on tying to kill the loathsome creature, and Olive rushes towards the lurker with yet another apology. (Rolls are 9 +3 = 12 and 4 +3 = 6; one hit for 3 +2 = 5 damage.) While bashing its brains out, the android continues to ask the creature if it requires assistance.

Rasputin swings his longsword (roll is 7), but again misses the beast.

Andre continues to try to restrain the lurker in his steely grip (opposed Ability check; Andre’s roll is 2), but the writhing monster twists from his grasp. It hangs in midair, suspended via some mutant power.

The creature takes the opportunity to counterattack (rolls a 2), but cannot wrap its ‘wings’ around the Goliath.

At the south side of the room, Apollo spends the round reloading his other gun. The other party members watch for any newcomers, but see nothing.

The distant bellowing noises have stopped, though the echoes continue for a few more seconds.


Round 4

(Onto the fourth round; initiative is 2 for the party, 3 for the lurker.)

Uttering an eerie keening noise, the lurker attacks Andre again (roll is 8; a hit for 1 damage). It manages to wrap the giant’s head; though it is a weak grip, it cuts off Andre’s air!

Gene is focused on his task, and continues to bash with his mace (18 +1 = 19; hit for 3 +2 = 5 damage), delivering a mighty thump.

Aka-Vasha slashes at the creature’s torso as it assaults Andre (13 +1 = 14; hit for 3 +3 = 6 damage) and draws more blood!

Olive’s apologies sound less sincere as he swings his mace with terrifying speed (2 +3 = 5 and 13 +3 = 16; one hit for 2 +2 = 4 damage), bludgeoning the lurker.

The android seems to have hit a vital spot! With a horrendous shriek, the creature arches and twists, freeing Andre from its grasp (the stoic giant seems to have barely noticed the assault). It flops to the floor and convulses violently. Hacking and slashing with your weapons, you provide a quick death to the lurker!

For a few brief moments, the only noise is your laboured breathing. Then from the north you hear a new noise; not a bellowing but a baying howl! It sounds much closer than the previous noises; it might be just at the edge of your torchlight!

What are your actions?

Advertisements

19 comments

  1. (I may have jumped the gun on this post – not many of you had a chance to respond – but the lurker’s fate was sealed when you surrounded it and I had a couple hours to kill.)


  2. Apollo, with both his pistols now reloaded orders the closest torch-bearing retainer – “Follow me!” – and darts to the edge of the northen passage.


  3. The android stoops down to the lurker and pokes some fingers into the dead flesh. He looks as if he was about to say something from the way he cocked his head, but the baying interrupts his comment.

    Olive leaps up and rushes next to Apollo, swinging the mace in anticipation.


  4. Satisfied that the creature was dead Gene turns his attention in the direction of the howling sound. He takes a torch from a retainer and follows after Apollo and Olive.


  5. ‘Wait!’ says Slinker. ‘Leave the torches on the floor! Let them bastards come to us!’

    He takes up his crossbow again and squints into the darkness past Apollo, looking for something to shoot at and wishing he had time to roll a cigarette…


  6. Aka-Vasha stands at east entrance and readies her longbow. With Vasha focused on her unseen target, Aka keeps an eye out down the east corridor.


  7. “Slinker’s plan is sound. Spread out in a semi-circle around the room with the shaft, missile weapons ready. The creatures sound hostile and we have nowhere to retreat. We will meet them with a hail of fire if they attack!”

    Thinking further, Rasputin adds, “Scouts to the east and west. We do not want them to hit our flanks by surprise.”

    While he is saying this, Rasputin is moving through the room with the shaft in it, placing the shaft between him and the northern entrance of the room, with his pistol in one hand ready to fire and his already bloodied sword in the other. He should be able to get a clear shot in from here.

    Once he is in position, if the creatures have not made their move, he will shout for Xanax or one of the other retainers to throw a torch into the northern tunnel to illuminate our foes.


  8. Seeing the wisdom in Slinker’s plan Apollo will halt his race to the corridor and take his position in the semi-circle. Shooting irons at the ready.

    “Let them come, whatever they may be…” – he mubles more to himself than the others.


  9. Yobo scurries up to join those closest to the noise and see if he can see anything in the darkness with his night vision.


  10. “Excited exclamation: Tactical planning! I love tactical planning!” The android falls in place with the semi-circle. He places his mace back on its hanger and pulls out his sling. Within moments, the steady whirring of a readied shot can be heard echoing off of the metallic walls.


  11. Yobo looks down the north corridor and with his enhanced vision can tell that there is a light source somewhere down the western branch.

    Whatever is producing the light to the northwest, it’s not in clear view and isn’t obvious enough to anyone else yet.


  12. “There’s a light up ahead along the western wall of the passage, I can’t see anyone or anything in the passage. Can’t tell much else” Yobo tells the others.


  13. (If something appears, do you want to ‘shoot first and ask questions later’? Or to hold on and wait to see what happens?)

    (Basically: Do you ready your actions to fire immediately?)


  14. Gene decides it is prudent to not advance down the hallway yet and takes a position to one side of the northern passageway. From here he might get some surprise against anything that emerges from the passage.


  15. (I’m for the “hold on and wait to see what happens” idea)


  16. (Apollo won’t fire until he can determine if what he sees is a threat. So he won’t be readying to fire immediately)


  17. Rasputin hopes that the large numbers of ready weapons pointed their way will, at the least, cause our foes to hesitate long enough for us to establish if they are a threat before attacking.

    Rasputin barks out, “Hold your fire till we can see them,” then he waits till they are illuminated in our torch light to determine if they are friend or foe. (Rasputin also holds his action)


  18. Ibben, still invisible and seeing his allies fan out in a semicircle basically aiming where he is standing (which is at the entrance to the northern corridor), drops his invisibility and gives an almost inaudible squeak as he quickly rushes to the east and south to be outside of any potential fusillade.

    As he crouches by the eastern corridor, he idly extends his mind outwards towards the motionless robot, trying to feel if it has a ‘mind’. (Using Neural Telepathy)


  19. ‘I don’t suppose any of you ‘orrible mutie wierdos can see in the dark can you?’ says Slinker.

    He fidgets with his crossbow, then fires it up the northern passageway.

    ‘Yooohoo! Howly beastie thingy! Come and get the nice marrowbone I got for yooo!’



Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: